27 January 2010

Minority Report

On Friday we arrived home from work and school to find a letter from the UC San Francisco Medical School. You may recall that we did not apply for medical school at UC San Fran, so we were thus surprised to have a letter from them. Did they see Scott's scores and want him to apply? Why in the world would one of the best medical schools in the country be contacting us? (I know, we are thinking real optimistic... or just sarcastic as usual)

Well, we tore the letter open and this is what it said:

We are pleased to announce the UCSF School of Medicine Post Baccalaureate Program for 2010-11. This program is designed for individuals who have completed their undergraduate degrees, but have continued interest in pursuing application to medical school. We are seeking individuals from disadvantaged or underserved backgrounds who have unsuccessfully applied to medical school and those who have not yet applied to medical school. We are sending this notice to you, because you name is on the AAMC Minority Medical Student Applicant Registry...


Ha! I started laughing almost uncontrollably. As many of Scott's friends and family know, he is a bit on the ghetto side of life, though he is far from being an ethnic or racial minority. He has a seperate rap music playlist on his iPod, and Scott can often be found with a tilted hat and baggy jeans on his days off. I started thinking, maybe he's convinced himself that he IS ethnic.

"Scott, did you tell med schools that you were black?!" I asked, half-serious. He said he didn't, and tried to think of other reasons why he is on the minority list. LDS? Most likely not. LDS white male is probably one of the more common applicant statuses.

So no clue WHY UCSF thinks we're special, but we'll take what we can get. *wink wink*

P.S. LOL, just for Matt and Amy, find pictures of Scott's cornrows here!

4 comments:

  1. I say go for it. Also if Scott went to UC SF then I Could see you when I come see my people! I mean,.. thats just a reason right there! ;o) Good luck to Scott!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! So many comments coming to my head that I can't even process them fast enough to type. Let's just say that this story just made my week :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt says that this would be the perfect opportunity to post a pic of scott's corn rows!

    ReplyDelete