12 August 2009

Your Personal Job Finder

A note before I proceed with my employment advice: On Saturday I cut Scott's hair. It was very exciting. I even took pictures by request from my best friend. I was so excited to post my adventure, when I discovered that the memory card wasn't in the camera when I took pictures. The pictures are saved to the camera itself, which as you may know, is incompatible with USB connections. So no pictures :( However, I was successful in cutting Scott's hair at home. In my opinion, I did a pretty good job, except I'm pretty sure there is one tuft of hair in the front that is longer than the rest of his mane. That's modern, right? I used clippers for the bottom and sides, but had to wield scissors on his overgrown top fro. Scary! Maybe someday I'll be able to recover the pictures.

Moving on...

The Fall Semester is upon us. Recruiting season at BYU is starting to bloom, and my work is becoming only slightly busier. With recent economic swings, more and more students and alumni are having difficulties locating or keeping satisfying employment. Not only that, but students have more competition for part-time jobs than ever before. On-campus custodial jobs have had more applications in a matter of hours this year then they have received in entire posting periods of years past. This environment presents an interesting puzzle of requests for our University Career Services staff.

Yesterday I attended a webinar presented by LinkedIn on how career services can better use the online application for university and student networking. Most of the networking advice was old news to me, since BYU-Idaho's business department taught me self-marketing skills brilliantly. However, LinkedIn is coming up with some new tricks and had some helpful tips inside the system, of which I wasn't previously aware.
As I updated my Public Profile yesterday on LinkedIn, I received two requests from Scott's cousins to help search for local part-time jobs. They know something that you may not... and that is that I am an Internet research GENIUS! Mwahaha! Go ahead, doubt, but many can attest that this is true. Last year I even found a long lost cousin of a recruiter visiting BYU, so he could reconnect (and get football tickets). Skills, I tell you! My favorite thing to research, though, is jobs. I research them for myself ALL the time, even when I'm not really looking to change employers. There is an inexplicable joy for me, when I find the perfect job for someone. Really! Plus it gives me a good challenge.

So I'm updating my networking profile, and helping family find jobs, and it hits me! ... Why am I not offering this service to more of my friends/faithful readers? I am in a position where I am intimately connected with new job advertisements every day from all over the world. I love to search. I love to network. I want to help people find jobs in this difficult economic situation. How does that NOT equal, personal job finder blog post?

If you or someone you know is looking for a job, I would be thrilled to come to your aid. Any industry. Full-time, Part-time, Temporary, Seasonal... Give me a challenge. Just post a comment, send an email, or connect with me on LinkedIn with some details on where and what you want. I will be your job Cha-Cha! Your personal job finder.

3 comments:

  1. hahah! Not sure how far you are spreading your job finding love but little Annie is headed to Idaho in a few weeks and could sure use a day time job to supplement her night time classes (and groceries).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, I sure could have used some help over the past 6 weeks that we have been in WA! I finally just got hired on at a restaurant last night. Not exactly a high point after graduating college. Right now I'm testing and waiting for jobs in law enforcement because I have pretty much given up on the private sector. But, I am still looking for bigger and better opportunities. I don't want to be a server for the rest of my life. So, with that in mind, I"m looking for a good job anywhere in WA, CA, CO, and yes, maybe, possibly, I'd even consider UT (again, not a highpoint in my life's ambitions, but I'll pretty well settle for anything right now. ;) So if you need more details or find anything good, let Ashley or I know! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie,

    Not sure if you would even remember who I am but we are very good friends with Martie and Curtis and have known Scott for like forever. And we have met you a couple of times so I read your blog to just keep up with you and Scott. And actually, if your offering my daughter Katie who is at BYU needs a job in a big way. So, if you can give her any help it would be so appreciated. She is home right now working at Raley's but will be heading back to BYU on the 27th. Last year she worked at the creamery and her schedule this year leaves her free M,W,F she only has school on T, TH. So, yeah like I said any help or ideas greatly appreciated. PS love your blog and tell Scott "HI" from the Jensen's thanks!

    ReplyDelete