24 October 2018

Life Snapshot: October 24

Topgolf selfie, Scott's Birthday Weekend Celebration
To anyone who noticed, I had to postpone my last post. Long story.

Vancouver Tidbits: Recently we discovered Dine the Couve and have loved every restaurant that we've visited. Even though the special menus are only available in the month of October, I'm crossing my fingers that the list stays up all year so I can test out a few more. If you're looking for a restaurant to eat at in Vancouver, Washington we can already highly recommend Nom Nom, Smokehouse Provisions, Rally Pizza, and Heathen's Taco Tuesday.



What I'm Reading:  Besides re-reading the Book of Mormon by the end of the year, I'm also trying to finish out my Goodreads 2018 reading challenge. One book I read recently that I can highly recommend is Ban This Book by Alan Gratz.

On the Telly: Sports most of the time. #helloFellowship
However, my good friend introduced me to We Love You, Sally Carmichael. I love that Jack McBrayer made appearances, and I laughed out loud at the merman!

Dr. Hubs: Can you believe that it's already Fellowship interview season? The PeaceHealth Primary Care Sports Medicine program here does two interview days with groups of applicants. It doesn't seem real that it was a year ago Scott was flying everywhere for interviews, and we were trying to figure out which program features were most important to us. With three months of fellowship under his belt, Scott is really enjoying this program and already has his favorite ways to describe it to applicants.

Goal for Next Week: Show my lean model canvas to business minded friends for feedback.
Want to analyze my business idea?

My favorite moment from this last week: It was Scott's birthday on Monday and because he is busy during the week, we decided to celebrate on Saturday. Except I made his day a little bit more complicated by making him help me get a new mattress (second mattress of our marriage). Good thing it's easy to bring Scott happiness - find sports, eat his favorite foods, and involve family. I had this blissful moment, sitting on an outdoor couch having just eaten an amazing meal, under a heater on a 50 degree crisp fall night, watching Scott laugh as he hit golf balls too far from the target.

On My Mind: Distractions. As part of General Conference, the prophet asked the women of the church to be part of a social media fast and to prayerfully include any other sources of media that have a negative influence on us. Having participated in the social media fast this summer with the youth of the church, I was excited for the challenge again and knew that despite good intentions, I had already fallen back into bad habits. Technology occupies my mind as soon as I wake up in the morning and frequently throughout the day. Emails, messages, notifications, searches - if I let my mind linger on them, I could easily be distracted or preoccupied with worry all day. I want to be more purposeful in my interactions, and I'd like to train my mind to focus better. That's going to involve making some changes. Perhaps leaving my phone in the living room at night, and only accessing social media when I have something to say. Or maybe I just need to rediscover HeadSpace

No comments:

Post a Comment