01 August 2018

Coder Needed

Earlier this year, I was sitting reading a conference talk when an idea for an LDS social media site started formulating in my mind. Of course, I've been running with it - writing out ideas, brief marketing notes, SWOT, and I even jotted down a few names from my network that came to mind who could help direct me.

Now, I've had ideas in the past that have fizzled out in my mind over time. I started writing a poem which I thought would make a lovely children's book. After learning to play Betrayal at House on the Hill, I started sketching up designs for a cooperative style game that I thought Scott would love. Each of these stellar ideas sits in draft form in a notebook of mine, but overtime I became less excited about making them happen.

Not the case with my social media site. On the daily I'm fleshing out the site in my mind and wondering how to move the project forward. After several conversations with friends, and friends of friends, I have a basic wireframe of what the site would look like and offers to help with graphic design when that time comes. But the biggest piece that is still outstanding, is code.

Building a social media site is way more complex than building a website. Basic HTML and CSS are my friend, but they aren't going to build me a network. How do you solve a problem like finding the perfect coder friend?

No, really, I'm asking.

Ideally I need to find someone who is proficient in JavaScript, React, Angular, ember, and other languages. Developers are in high demand, and thus can get paid whatever they want. This is not that kind of project, at least not today. It's in my spare time, after working a full-time job, that I'm letting my creative brain toggle this idea. With the potential to be somewhat complex, the ideal developer is likely someone with a couple years of coding under their belt, who would be interested in the experience of being a recognized contributor to the beginning of this project. All other aspects are negotiable, I'm sure.

Too optimistic?

Several conversations later, I'm still looking for potential coders and even contemplating a boot camp myself to jumpstart a beta site. Still more conversations in the works, so we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment