26 September 2018

Lingering Prineville Questions

Scott's extended family plans a yearly reunion at Prineville Reservoir and occasionally we have the opportunity to join in the fun. It just so happened that this year we were able to go along for most of the reunion because we had just moved to Vancouver, WA at the beginning of July and Scott didn't have to start his fellowship program until the week following Prineville. So I took off a day and a half from work that week, and spent the remaining days working part time from our hotel. Working remotely definitely pays off! Too bad I haven't had a real vacation in two years, though, because I plan so many vacations where I'm working part time. I digress.

Each day at Prineville families go boating, breakfast and dinner are shared meals together, and then in the evening all 50 some aunts, cousins, nieces/nephews get together at night for a little devotional or fun family activity. 

Well one of the nights the devotional was a "Get to Know the In-Laws" night, where they asked several of us who married into this clan some quick response questions. Except, I'm not the best at quick responses, so I'm afraid there were quite a few questions that I looked around for someone else to have fast insight into my life. If only I had the quick wit of my fellow in-law Erik Bermudez who can improv hilarious half-truth answers on the spot. Also unfortunate that I sat directly next to Erik and had to follow that hilarity every time. Typical Katie fashion is to take time to process, and with that in mind I now (two months later) have a few good answers. Ha!

Q: Of anyone in the world (past or present), who would you want to sit down to lunch with or interview?
A: Jacinda Ardern
Honestly, this answer changes on the daily. There are lots of interesting people in the world today, and most definitely in the past, whose brains I could pick for an hour or two. I'm drawn to learn more from powerful women (hence Ms. Ardern... I answered another powerful woman at Prineville, though it was an answer I once gave when asked something similar in college #ineedprocesstime), but who doesn't want to talk to their ancestors or the infamous?

Q: What's one thing on your bucket list?
A: India
This was actually the same answer I said in Prineville. Thailand is also on that list, as is the Hill Cumorah Pagaent and u-pick peaches in Georgia.

Q: What do you want to be when you grow up? *Note: all of the in-laws were "grown-ups".
A: Operations Manager at a Children's Museum
Children's museums are magical. When I was a child, I would say that I wanted to be a Kindergarden teacher when I grew up, because all I remembered was playing. Now that I'm older, I realized what I really wanted then if only I had known it was possible, is to manage a non-profit children's museum.

Q: What is a quirk of yours?
A: I need time to process the words you're saying and my feelings. Give me a moment, and I'll come up with something great. A career in improv is not in my future.

How would you answer any of these questions for yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment