29 August 2018

Airing Out in Southern Oregon

A couple weeks ago I went to visit my parents in Medford, Oregon. Both Scott's and my parents are so excited for us to be back on the West Coast. When Scott and I finally settled into our new place for this fellowship year, my parents made sure to schedule a trip for me to come visit, and it was all planned around the Oregon Shakespeare Festival. When my dad told me about this upcoming season of shows, there were a few plays that I mentioned an interest in, but with timing in mind, I decided on a weekday evening show of Sense and Sensibility. You may be thinking, "Um, that's Jane Austen, not Shakespeare." You'd be right, but that's OSF variety for you.

Little did I know that West Coast fires would end up interfering with our plans.



I flew on Alaska Airlines/Horizon to Medford instead of driving. The air quality at the Portland airport was a little hazy from the fires in British Columbia, but it was nothing compared to the tarmac in Medford. I couldn't even see the ground until we were landing on it. That picture above may look like a typical overcast day in Oregon, but that's straight up smoke from California and Oregon fires. YUCK!

That same hazardous air quality continued through to the next day, and I was worried about the scheduled Sense and Sensibility performance. I knew that there is a beautiful outdoor amphitheater as part of the Shakespeare Festival, and my dad said that most of the amphitheater performances had been canceled since the fires started, but he reassured me that our play was indoors.

When we arrived at the theater, many of the patrons were walking in with their face masks on and the theater smelled a bit like camp fire. Ushers taking tickets encouraged us to come inside quickly, limiting how much smoke would come inside. My dad and I sat down in incredible seats to watch Elinor and Marianne lose their father, move to a smaller home, and meet Willoughby. OSF spiced up this Austen story by having backstage cast members throwing out commentary from the side when they weren't part of the evolving plot.

At intermission, I got up to use the bathroom, and when I returned, the Managing Director of OSF was standing center stage telling the crowd that the smoke had gotten too thick back stage. He cancelled the remainder of the performance out of concern for actors, and patrons... but mostly the cast. We were disappointed, but I consoled myself, and my dad, by saying that I know exactly what happens to the Dashwoods.

The smoke didn't let up much at all during my week trip. In fact, my parents remained semi-housebound until just a couple days ago. I'm sure I'll get another opportunity soon to see Medford without the hazardous air and face masks.

No comments:

Post a Comment