26 April 2012

The Problem With Health Insurance

I listened to this radio piece last week and was amazed! Maybe these topics have more of an impact on me now that my husband is in the process of becoming a doctor. 






Does this sound like a problem to anyone else? I like how they covered this story because in a concise way NPR was able to highlight some issues with our current health insurance cycle of doom. I don't like this story because he didn't present any sort of solution. Without any real working knowledge of how the U.S. health care system works, I can't offer one either, though there are always directions for my finger to point blame.

5 comments:

  1. I love Marketplace! Well I think there are some solutions identified. Health care reform is really going back to a similar system where the health care provider (used to be just physician) received an hourly pay or a lump sum payment per procedure. As it is now, you the consumer do not know in advance what your expected bill will be (barring complications even), until you get the bill, and the bill may not be itemized in the same way for you as it was for insurance.
    Coding is out of control and it is a game that is not fair. But the lobby for the AMA is fighting hard to keep it the way it is because it is lucrative for many!
    Jt is bankrupting Medicare and the consumer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although what I wrote above is also true, what I meant to write was, "Interesting, Katie."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this Katie. When I read the title of your post, I thought: "There's only ONE problem with Health Insurance?" Anyway - love keeping up with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks mom for sharing this link:
    http://www.ted.com/talks/atul_gawande_how_do_we_heal_medicine.html

    TED shares how to heal medicine... pit crews.

    ReplyDelete