12 October 2011

Crafty Advertising



I literally stopped and laughed at this comic that was posted outside a coworkers cube. Sometimes I take advertising too literally. I'm an ad analyzer, and usually I'm an expert when it comes to understanding the statistics behind ad statements. The other day... not so much. I most definitely went to McDonalds just for an apple pie and walked away with a large fry, apple pie, and a burger. Why? One word - Monopoly.

Have you seen the McD Monopoly commercial with Lebron James? Funny, yes! But do not take the 1 in 4 statistic literally. When I arrived at McDs I saw a poster stating that large fries have four monopoly pieces on the package. Of course, I think exactly what those crafty marketers want me to think... " With a 1 in 4 chance of winning, a large fry guarantees I'll get something free next time. So it's an investment." I won nothing and ate more french fries than any one person should in one sitting.

I almost misread and took THIS ad too literally. Luckily I corrected my mental misspelling, saw the logo, and breathed a sigh of relief for society before passing the billboard by on the freeway. It is good to stop and think about advertising. Avoid overthinking.

2 comments:

  1. Haha- we are monopoly suckers. And I'm not believing the stats since the last 16 pieces we have collected only included 1 instant winner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! We sure are influenced by advertising.

    ReplyDelete