25 August 2010

Read This Book, Y'all

I brought two books with me on vacation, knowing that I would have some time to read at Prineville while my husband was playing on the water and maybe a little time to read by the pool at my in-laws. My mother-in-law found the first book that I brought to finish, Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay. She commented to me that she had read it and then handed me a whole stack of books she recommended I read including The Help, by Kathryn Stockett.


I finished Sarah's Key, historical fiction based on the Vel d'Hiv (Nazi occupation of Paris), last week while Scott was doing all his preparations for the "Fantasy Football Draft." I feel like I should write a blog for Fantasty Sports widows, but that's another story. When I finished that book, I picked up The Help anxious to read about women in 1960s Jackson, Mississippi.

You really should pick this book up. The book goes through the perspectives of three different women in Jackson, two black maids and a white woman who was raised by her maid. At first I found it difficult to jump from each perspective, because the author has a knack for leaving you hanging at the best part before switching to the next story. But all perspectives tie in so well that I couldn't put the book down for two days. The author also does a great job writing the Southern drawl. She should! She grew up with a maid herself in Mississippi.

If you're the type to read the last chapter first, jump to her section called Too Little, Too Late, which recounts her own experiences in Mississippi and racial segregation. She says in this section:

"... I don't presume to think that I know what it really felt like to be a black woman in Mississippi, especially in the 1960s. I don't think it is something any white woman on the other end of a black woman's paycheck could ever truly understand. But trying to understand is vital to our humanity. In The Help there is one line that I truly prize:

'Wasn't that the point of the book? For women to realize. We are just two people. Not that much seperates us. Not nearly as much as I'd thought.'"

Like I said... couldn't put the book down, you'll love it! Thanks, Martie for the read!

3 comments:

  1. Interesting you would blog about The Help since I just ordered it off of Amazon.com, and it’s probably sitting at Amy’s house right now waiting for me to pick it up next week. Now, after reading how much you and Martie liked it, I’m even more excited to read it. I have read 7 books in my 5 weeks here so far. I got so desperate for something to read that I even took Jason’s latest Stephen King novel right out from under him. Not my first choice, but there was nothing else to read, and I was going crazy without a book. How is it that Martie always knows all the good books to read, even the stuff that’s not children’s literature? She’s amazing.

    P.S. I just blogged about how difficult the French language has been for me, and I am so jealous that you speak it. I also really enjoyed your France blog from a while ago—you are a very funny and witty writer. That must have been such an awesome experience for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to have to read this. another friend of mine just posted about how wonderful this book is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I've been eyeing this book for a while, looks like I need to take the dive. Sarah's key is on my "to read" list as well. On an unrelated note Jordan and Scott really do need to launch their sports blog because then all the hours the devote to sports research/commentary/etc. will at least manifest in a more tangible way.

    ReplyDelete