08 March 2010

Lazy Man's Enchiladas and Cinnamon Chips

I love Mexican food. I could eat it all the time and be completely happy. I especially love green sauce enchiladas. My first enchilada love was my sister-in-law Annie's enchiladas, made with a cream cheese chicken filling in the center and a sprinkle of pecans on top. It reminded me so much of Chicken Roll-up goodness, mexi-style! Then I was introduced to Erik Bermudez's cheesy enchiladas with green sauce. Oooh yummy! But corn tortillas take a lot of work to be edible. So Scott and I resorted to flour tortillas with chicken and cheese filling and a chicken/green chili sauce.

But let's just say that I am too lazy for those too. So I've come up with an easy alternative and the dessert practically makes itself. I call it Lazy Man's Enchiladas.

You will need these ingredients for the enchiladas:
7 flour tortillas
1 chicken breast, cooked and cute into cubes
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 sm container of sour cream
1 can of green enchilada sauce or green salsa
Cheese (I like cheddar and monterrey jack, but you can use your preference. I like a lot of cheese)

Step 1: Stack up your tortillas on a cutting board and trim off the edges so you are left with square tortilla and fry-chip looking ends. Then, cut your square in half lengthwise and make rectangle tortilla strips. It makes it easier when layer, and gives you little chips for your dessert ingredients.

Step 2: Mix all wet ingredients together in a medium sized bowl.

Step 3: Take your pyrex type baking dish, sprayed with cooking spray, and put a little bit of sauce at the bottom. Then layer tortilla strips, cheese, chicken, and a cover with a layer of sauce. This will make about four layers. Cover the top with your remaining sauce and cheese.

Step 4: Cover with tin foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Step 5: Take a power nap. This is the Lazy Man's version after all!

Once the thirty minutes are up, you can take off the tin foil and let the cheese crisp up for a few minutes in the oven.

Serve with beans and rice.

Then digest... another nap may help. You never know. After you're done digesting, it may be time for dessert. This is Scott's favorite part about this meal, the cinnamon chips.

You will need:
The leftover trimmed edges of your tortillas
Butter
1/2 c sugar mixed with cinnamon

Step 1: Spread butter on the remaining tortilla strips. You could probably melt and spread with a brush, but being lazy... I just spread a small amount of softened butter on with a knife.

Step 2: Place the strips on a large baking sheet lined with tin foil.

Step 3: Sprinkle a good amount of cinnamon sugar on each strip.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 4 minutes, or until your tortilla strips are slightly brown at the edges.

Serve immediately! These don't last long. These taste especially good with a lazy man's chocolate mousse (chocolate pudding mixed with Cool Whip).

Enjoy!

P.S. Sorry no pictures! We have bad lighting in our basement apartment.
P.S.S. I wanted to write lightening just for you, Christie. Darn typos!

1 comment:

  1. Shout out to me!!!! I feel so special. I totally made enchiladas today in my meal management class. So this post was very fitting.

    ReplyDelete