19 March 2010

Hard Times Reception

I am interning for the Springville Museum of Art. I've been wanting to do something with the museum since we moved to Springville after we were married. So when my BYU creative writing class idea flopped, I decided that I need to replace the time that I would have spent in class and homework with something productive and meaningful. I applied to volunteer at SMA, and they liked my resume so much they asked if I wouldn't spend a few more hours a week and call it an internship. The internship works in museum operations, specifically development. So far I haven't developed much in the way of grant monies, except to research potential grants, but the museum staff is very appreciative. I also help out with events and membership, which is a cool opportunity for me also.

One of the best perks though, of being an SMA intern, is that I get to enjoy the beautiful Spanish colonial architecture every time I visit, and all of the amazing artwork. The building is so beautiful and peaceful, especially in such an accepting environment. Currently on display in the Springville Museum of Art is the All-State Utah High School show, which is a jured show (meaning that the pieces displayed are only the best of those judged). Wow! High school students are so talented. I am really not much of an artist, so I respect and am in awe of their talent.


I've become a big fan of these multiple media pieces, because it feels doable for me to work with my hands to make art rather than to sketch or paint... which I guess is also with your hands. I feel like I can create more when the medium has some physical dimension, I guess is what I'm saying. In the background of this picture you can see the water sculpture, one of the most popular features of the museum for children to see.

If you're in the area, you really should stop by and see some of this work. The high school show ends March 26, 2010. A great opportunity to see this show, is for another exhibition's reception. The Hard Times Exhibition is having a reception, with refreshments no less, on March 24, 2010 at 6:00 PM. Here is a description of the show as on the SMA website "Sixteen artists were asked to respond to our country’s worst economic meltdown since the Great Depression, with the result being an exhibition that both stuns and challenges the viewer."

Admission is FREE, there will be free food and entertainment, you'll get to see the High School show before it closes, and see the opening of the Hard Times Exhibition. How can it get any better?

No comments:

Post a Comment