02 April 2014

Lite Spring Break Reading

This is *fingers crossed* the last year of my MBA program. I have been working on taking classes one at a time up until this year, but the last two terms I have taken two night classes per week. Winter term classes were a bit of a downer, and I'm now incredibly eager for June when my last two classes will be over.

So I took the opportunity during the week off between terms to entertain myself with books. It's been awhile since I sat down with a book that wasn't for a class, so I had forgotten how much I missed "lite" reads. Love me a good, no-brainer, page-turner. I prefer lazily reading hours of entertaining story lines over watching your typical 90 minute movie. My imagination is more fun.

Last week I read:
Wonder by R.J. Palacio
The Scorch Trials by James Dashner
The Death Cure by James Dashner
and the entire Divergent series by Veronica Roth.

Yeah, my Spring Break was a bit fantasy heavy.

It was my goal to finish the Maze Runner series and Divergent series before the movies came out. On Friday of Spring Break, Scott was home from his surgery rotation on the coast, and we went to see Divergent in the theater in Albany. I was glad I had read the book first, because I was able to explain the basic plot to Scott and avoid having another Hunger Games episode (Scott, in shock: Why were children killing children?!). Scott and I both enjoyed the movie, and Scott is now convinced that he would be a dauntless leader if he was there.

I tested that theory as we left the theater. It had been dumping rain all week long (duh, Spring Break in Oregon) and we had parked on the far side of the theater. When the movie ended, I started walking against the crowd towards the exit nearest our car. Scott stopped me.

Scott: Uh, hon! The main exit is that way.
Me: Yeah, but our car is on the other side of that crowd, and it's raining!
Scott: It's okay. We can go out the front door like every body else.
Me: *light bulb*... Be dauntless, Scott.

You should have seen him puff up his chest and lead me through that river of movie goers! Ha! It was Instagram worthy.

Our dauntless picture makes me happy!

1 comment: