18 June 2012

Berry Waffles

Berry season is beginning in Oregon. Strawberry stands are now open and soon I'll be hearing the sweet calls of raspberries, boysenberries, marionberries, and by August blueberries! UGH! Gotta love Oregon for its abundance of berries! ... Except that my go-to strawberry place is no longer in business! It's sad, but maybe Grandpa's Market can be my rebound berry patch.

Knowing that berry season is wiping its feet on our welcome mat, I decided that I would make room in my freezer and empty out the last of the frozen berry packets to make berry compote, or as Scott called it, "compost." Yeah, I'm working on the education there.


Possibly my new favorite breakfast! This picture really doesn't do justice because I didn't think to capture this beauty until i had eaten almost the entire batch of waffles and all that was left were the deformed waffles and dregs of berry compote.

If you'd like to experience breakfast joy, feel free to use this waffle recipe at allrecipes.com and top with your own homemade compote.

Berry Compote

1 handful of frozen raspberries
2 handfuls of blueberries
1/4 c sugar
1 T of water (lemon juice might be good!)
optional
1 T of cornstarch (for thicker compote)

Wash your hands! If you're literally taking handfuls of berries from the freezer, this is especially important. You could always just use a half cup measure too, but still wash your hands. Throw your choice of berries (raspberries and blueberries were in my freezer) in a small pot and put on the stove over medium heat. Stir the berries every so often, but it doesn't take a lot of attention. Once your berry mixture comes to a boil, you're done.

Nothing formal about that recipe! Just homemade berry goodness for your summer morning!

2 comments:

  1. YUMMY! Thanks for making my mouth water!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I just made homemade waffles in
    Visalia and last Sunday. Now obviously I need to do it again! Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete