15 May 2012

How My Dad Spends Retirement


I always knew that my dad would never be completely retired. He's worked his whole life - from newspaper routes as a kid, to FedEx operations in college, to being a physical therapist for the U.S. Public Health Service. When my dad set his retirement date a few years ago, I tried to imagine him not working, but it just didn't match his character - especially since my dad was vocal in his fear of reitrement boredom. My mom was vocal about that too, now that I think of it!

Retirement settled well with Dad, though. He's always loved vacation and that's kind of what retirement became - my parents visited my neices a bunch to play Nana and Papa, they traveled the West Coast looking for their new home, and my dad recently finished a PhD program in Physical Therapy to officially become Dr. Cavanaugh. As though that weren't enough, my dad started to volunteer his therapy services part-time at an equestrian center in the Medford area that provides "horsie therapy."That's what I call it.

I suppose for my dad that equine therapy still isn't even in the work category. My dad loves horses and he loves physical therapy, so it is more like a dream come true! He was recently photographed volunteering for this article. He looks happy, doesn't he?

4 comments:

  1. oh wow, your dad sounds like quite the guy. always moving and wanted to push himself! he wounds so happy and full of energy!
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog! He is enjoying retirement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun!! I didn't know your dad was a physical therapist. Travis graduates in August (yippee!!). Suppose we could do some networking??

    ReplyDelete
  4. How awesome. I love the picture. I knew your Dad was special, but this is really amazing to see what he's doing with "retired" life!

    ReplyDelete