03 October 2011

The Moral Recession

Conference was fantastic! I thoroughly enjoyed all the talks and was so excited when they announced that a temple will be built in Paris, France! How very exciting for France!

President Monson spoke on the current moral recession that we've lived in for quite some time without significant notice or study. He pointed out that up until 1960 we, as a society, upheld values or moral behavior that are now considered "old fashioned." Virtue is timeless and should never be connected with fashion or seasons. It is probably strange for friends and coworkers to hear of the values I hold and standards I keep. I'm determined to be more bold in sharing them!

President Monson's talk is available to view on the church website. They are so speedy to already have these talks in video format online!

3 comments:

  1. Yay for France! What's funny though is that all my ward members still say they plan to drive the 9 hours to the temple in Switzerland. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Katie, hope you're doing well. I listened to the talk and found it interesting. The first part of the talk got me thinking, so I hope you don't mind if I share my thoughts.

    Morality is important, but I think the speaker may look at the past with rose-colored glasses. I agree, the past gives us many examples of great morality. However, it also shows us that many in society have often been willing to hurt others for personal gain or seemingly for no reason besides fear. I'm not so sure it was better (or worse) than today.

    The financial deregulation and other policies that led to the housing bubble and the stock market crash of 2008 were steps in the wrong direction. But we've also made a lot of positive progress since 1960 passing the Civil Rights Act, the National Environmental Policy Act, ANSCA, Title IX, and the Clean Water Act. Yet we and our lawmakers still have many strides when it comes to the improving the rights and treatment of lesbians/gays, Arab Americans, religious minorities, the working poor, and those of different political persuasions.

    Whether we truly are in a moral recession or not compared to the past doesn't matter. What matters is that as individuals act ethically and that we as a society work to better conditions for all humanity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laurinda, I'm glad you listened to the talk. I agree that as individuals we need to improve our standards and reach out more to others. In fact, that was the message I took from this talk. I think society embraces fewer standards of good behavior and that affects how we are taught and what values we choose to uphold as individuals. President Monson was referring to standards like using clean language, dressing modestly, obstaining from addictive substances and activities, having chaste relationships before marriage, and maintaining healthy family relationships. The opposite has become society's norm over time. Individually we can make a difference by standing up for virtue and giving back to improve our communities.

    ReplyDelete