18 December 2009

Holiday Recipe: Cheddar Bacon Cheese Ball

As a treat to share with Scott and my work colleagues this year, I made cheddar/bacon cheese balls. Everyone LOVED them and I have to admit, it tasted awesome. People kept telling me how impressed they were that I made a homemade cheese ball. Well let me tell you a secret, *it is one of the easiest things to make and the ROI is huge!

I am a firm believer that there should be more cheese balls in this world, so dazzle your friends and family at your next holiday gathering and whip up this recipe:

1 box of cream cheese
a few cups of sharp cheddar cheese
a sprinkle (or SEVEN!) of packaged bacon bits

Set the cream cheese out on your counter for a few minutes before starting so it warms enough to be mixable. Once it's ready, empty the cream cheese packet into your handy dandy stand mixer with paddle attachment, and start your engines! As the cream cheese is mixing, add your cheddar cheese.

You may not be a fan of the sharper cheese taste on it's own, but the cream cheese mellows it out. For me, the sharper the cheese, the more I'm in love with it! Tillamook is my favorite brand. (Go west coast!) So for this cheese ball I try to get the best flavors so you can taste the cheddar-goodness in the cheese ball.

Then, while the mixer is still going, sprinkle in bacon bits to your hearts content. I also LOVE bacon. It makes everything taste better. Without bacon we wouldn't even know what a water chestnut is! (Jim Gaffigan)

When the cheddar and bacon are thoroughly mixed into the cream cheese, put the mixture in a bowl, cover, and let it cool in your refrigerater. It's easier to make the ball shape if the mixture cools a little first. Then when you're ready to eat, take the mixture out, ball it up, and roll it in pecans (if desired, makes it look extra fancy).

That's it! The KitchenAid really did all the work for me. I got three medium sized balls out of this recipe - one for Scott's work, one for my work, and one for my mouth!

I'll probably make this recipe again when we have our DIGIORNO House Party. Just yesterday I found out that I was accepted as a finalist to throw the party. This will be my first house party ever and I am excited to make it fabulous! Of course, there will be photos and maybe video to share in blog world after the event. This gives me something to look forward to for after the holiday season.

1 comment: